Have you ever wondered about square ping pong paddles? I know that it’s a weird question, but hear me out. There are many benefits to using a square paddle instead of the traditional circular one. For starters, they are easier to store because the shape is more compact and simple. If you have limited space in your house or at work, then this is an obvious advantage! On top of that, they provide better control over shots when compared with round ones. The grip on them also feels more natural than traditional ones – not to mention they’re much cheaper!
History Of Square Ping Pong Paddles
Square ping pong paddles have been around for a lot longer than you might think. In fact, the very first square paddle dates back to 1884! The inventor of this new type believed that it would be an easier way for beginners to learn how to play as well as provide better control and precision over shots.
Even though they were popular in many places at the time, they quickly disappeared shortly after because nobody was purchasing them. This is most likely due to the lack of advertising done by their creator.
Fast forward many years later, when table tennis became hugely popular during the Beijing Olympics – square paddles once again made an appearance on international tables thanks to two different companies manufacturing them now in 2012: “The Square Paddle Company”
What Are The Benefits Of Using Square Ping Pong Paddles
- Square ping pong paddles are great for beginners
- The shape of a square paddle is unique and provides better control over your ball movement in comparison to rectangular-shaped ones. They also have less friction than round table tennis balls which means they’re easier to keep on the surface when playing against another person or moving from one place to another around the table.
- Another benefit of this shape is that it leaves more space between you and your opponent, so there’s no risk of getting hit with an errant shot off-center – something that can happen often with rectangular-shaped paddles because they leave practically no room at all! You might be afraid of having too much spin on your shots. Don’t worry because even though the paddle is square, you can still have a lot of spins so that it will go where you want to.
What Is A Penhold Ping Pong Paddle?
In the past, most paddles were held with a grip called penhold. This requires that you hold the paddle in your hand so that it’s facing up and down instead of sideways (like when playing table tennis). But what if I want to use an overhand shot?
It can be hard or awkward using this style because one arm is always holding onto the front side of the blade while the other holds on at back – but there are ways around this problem! You could switch hands during play for example, or try changing how you’re gripping. Just make sure not to change too much from shot-to-shot as doing so will only confuse yourself and your opponent.
Is Penhold Grip Better Than Shakehand Grip?
The advantage of the traditional Chinese penhold grip is that it allows free movement of the wrist, much more than shakehand grips do.
This means that more types of strokes are possible, from a very long and slow backhand to short quick forehands.
However, penhold grips have one big problem – they’re not as good for blocking shots because the blade is so much further away from your body when you’re gripping it like this! The shakehand grip is better at defense because it’s closer to the body which gives you more control over where the ball goes.
If you need help deciding which paddle to get, don’t hesitate to contact our customer service team for assistance! We’re happy to answer any questions about square ping pong paddles so that you can find the perfect one for you and start playing like a pro in no time. Square or not? It’s up to you!
- How To Make A Custom Ping Pong Paddle With Your Playing Style
- All About Table Tennis Penhold Grip
- Ping Pong Strategy For Beginners
- How To Hold A Ping Pong Paddle In The Right Way?
Ping Pong Start is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn a small Affiliate Commission. As Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases.