Table tennis is an indoor sport. If you play it outdoors, the wind will affect the flight direction of the ball. And if you want to practice the game professionally, you should choose an indoor table tennis table that meets ITTF (International Table Tennis Federation) standards.
3 Things to know when looking for the best indoor ping pong table?
1. Size and bounce
Don’t Worry, all of them are of ITTF standard sizes: 9ft x 5ft x 2,5ft
About bounce, when you drop the table tennis ball from a height of 30cm, it will bounce 26cm high.
In general, all these 5 table tennis tables can meet tournament standards.
2. What’s the difference between an indoor ping pong table and a professional table tennis table?
As a rule by the ITTF, an official table tennis table should be made from one continuous piece of material. These high quality ping pong tables are usually very expensive over $1000. In fact, we only need a folding table tennis table to be able to practice. They give the feeling of competition but cost only 1/3.
Besides, the folding function of the indoor ping pong table is also useful when you need to practice returning the ball with half of the table. A professional ping pong table can’t help you practice this.
3. Why are indoor ping pong tables cheaper than outdoor ping pong tables?
What makes outdoor ping pong tables more expensive than indoor ping pong tables is the paint and durability. ITTF approved outdoor ping pong tables are more expensive. This is because their paint does not peel or swell in the sun. The materials for making outdoor ping pong tables also have to be durable because it has to last in bad weather.
Now let’s go to the main content! Look at my list of the best indoor ping pong tables.
|Product||Thickness||Material||Weight||What we like|
|1. Stiga Advantage||16 mm||Cotton||190 pounds||Best Overall|
|2. Joola Inside||25 mm||Engineered Wood||209 pounds||Easy folding|
|3. MD Sports Table Tennis Set||15 mm||Alloy Steel||114.6 Pounds||Most Saving|
|4. Joola Rally TL Table Tennis Table||15 mm||Engineered Wood||155 pounds||Best for Garage|
|5. Butterfly Centrefold 25||25 mm||Wood||290 pounds||Best for Basement|
1. Stiga Advantage Indoor Table Tennis Table
- Competition-ready indoor table tennis table perfect for your home or office
- 10-minute QuickPlay design comes 95% preassembled out of the box for quick and easy setup
- Effortlessly roll and transport table halves using 3” lockable casters for convenient storage and setup
- Excellent playability with 5/8”-thick table top with multiple roller coat finish and silk-screen striping
- Easily attach and remove net with tournament grade 72” clamp-style net and post set
First thing first, this professional ping pong tabletop is forged with high-quality MDF (medium-density fiberboard), one of the top-notch materials that have been the rising star in the manufacturing industry lately thanks to its firm texture, durability, and affordability. Another interesting fact: MDF is compliant with all tournament standards, making it the right choice if you want to experience a sense of professionalism.
The overall look of the wood piece was heightened with the technology of roller coating on both sides, after which came the UV-cured and the PVC edge-banded process. All combined to bring a long-lasting protection effect to the table, all the while creating a smooth and ideal surface for table tennis.
In addition, the silkscreen striping technique is applied in the making of this product and all the lines are directly printed on the table’s surface. When you run your finger atop it, you will not feel any hump, not in the slightest.
This model comes with 1.2-inch self-opening legs that are made from sturdy steel and reinforced with a premium powder coat finish to prolong lifespan.
Each table half comes with separate caster beams so that users can push the table to the playground or the storage place effortlessly.
However, during playing hours, you ought to lock the casters in place to prevent them from wobbling as you take shots, especially if you hit the table by accident.
Leg levelers are rubberized to avoid scratching your floors when the table moves. Plus, they also allow you to customize the table height for an even playing surface.
Ease of assembly:
All Stiga table tennis tables 95% preassembled. Most users will need only less than 10 minutes to attach the two halves of it together with included bolts, clamp the net and post set, then lock the wheels.
This product should cost about half a thousand dollars, which is quite budget-friendly for a competition-ready indoor table tennis table. We find it a great bargain for value over price.
2. Joola Inside Table Tennis Table
- TOURNAMENT QUALITY AT HOME: Competition-grade 9x5 foot regulation size indoor table tennis table and net set perfect for your home, office or community center. Made by the official table brand of US Open and US Nationals Championships. USATT Approved.
- NO HASSLE, QUICK SET-UP: Comes 95% pre-assembled. Assembly time NOW REDUCED: 10 minutes and you’re ready to play! Simply attach the legs with only 8 bolts TOTAL. Tournament grade net is a simple clamp design for easy attachment
- RELIABLE/LEVEL PLAY: Durable 3/4 inch (18 mm) thick MDF multi-layer painted surface is thicker than most recreational tables for a more consistent and reliable ball bounce. The table features leg height adjusters for a level playing surface.
- SAFE & MOBILE STORAGE: Folding halves sit on separate 4-wheel trolley systems for mobility when alone or nested together. Automatic anti-tilting locking devices and 4 locking caster wheels per half provide added safety during play, transport & storage.
- PLAY SOLO WITH PLAYBACK MODE: You can still play table tennis on the best table around if you don’t have a partner! Simply utilize the 2-piece design and unfold one half while leaving the other vertical for solo playback mode.
This JOOLA product is a well-crafted product with quality wood composites as the primary material, giving it not only durability but also impressive ball bounce. Plus, it should also be mentioned that the whole tabletop is made according to the USATT’s requirements (United States Association of Table Tennis), so it is another tournament quality piece of equipment worth consideration.
The Joola product is also coated with a finish cured with ultraviolet light, giving the table a smooth touch. Not to mention, this coat is anti-reflection so never will you have to bear with the notorious glaring issue right in the middle of a match.
Regarding the lines, these smooth, white vertical parts were printed on the table using top technology, so just rest assured that they will feel smooth to the touch.
The table has 1.5-inch square steel legs that are coated with a premium powder finish to be even much more durable.
The rubber leg levelers can keep your floors scratch-free and at the same time allow you to adjust the table height at ease. Moreover, each folding half comes with separate 4-wheel trolley systems for high mobility either when nested together or alone.
Three-inch caster wheels are able to glide smoothly on all terrains, making transportation a breeze. Each table half features up to four wheels so that users manage to move the table either when separated or as a whole.
The locking devices are available to assure the stability level of the table while playing and prevent it from accidentally moving when stored.
Ease of assembly:
Similar to the STIGA Advantage T8580W Indoor Table Tennis Table, this professional MDF indoor table tennis table is also 95% pre-assembled.
However, it may take a little longer to set up (around 15 minutes), but that is not too much. There are 8 bolts included for you to fix the two table halves together.
The net and post sets can be installed easily by clamping and rotate the screws by hand.
If you check the price on Amazon, you may find this product cost nearly 700 dollars, which is fairly expensive. However, it is still fairly worthy because of its superb construction and design quality.
3. MD Sports Table Tennis Set
- This table comes with reinforced construction and steel leg frames | It is an ofﬁcial size table for competitive playing. Its playﬁeld is 15-mm thick and reinforced for a consistent bounce for challenging table tennis game
- Product dimensions – 108” L x 60” W x 30” H | Folded dimensions – 73” L x 60” W x 16” H | Weight – 134.2 lbs. | Table aprons – 1-1/5” | Includes 2 paddles, 2 balls, 1 net, and 1 post set
- Assembly required | 3D interactive assembly instructions for this product are available through the free BILT app
- This space-saving Table Tennis Set lets you enjoy fast-action play in your game room or garage | Rated for indoor use only
- Foldable for single-player practice and space-saving storage solution. This versatile game table is the ideal rainy day distraction when indoor activities are necessary. Fun for kids and adults of all ages
Its amazing composite tabletop is completely scratch-proof and reinforced with a hard Alloy Steel and heavy-duty 2-inch steel rim. It would be a shame if all the above qualities are to someday lose their luster, right? That’s why the tabletop is paired with a scratch-resistant finish capable of keeping certain damages at bay.
As for the lines, they are professionally painted along the length of the table following the tournament’s official standard. This means they are smooth enough and are not likely to fade as time goes by.
The 2-inch square steel legs of this pingpong table are of high-grade quality and made to last. They are all powder coated and equipped with height adjusters and lockable wheels (all made from rubber).
This professional-grade table is also even not easy to assemble because it is fully pre-assembled. The one-piece and foldable design means that you only have to fold or unfold, then attach the post and net set by screwing clamps in several minutes
This ping pong table is as cheap as a mini ping pong table
4. Joola Rally TL Table Tennis Table
- TOURNAMENT QUALITY AT HOME: Competition-grade 9x5 foot regulation size indoor table tennis table and net set perfect for your home, office or community center. Table Top Material- Wood surface. Leg Material- Steel
- NO HASSLE, QUICK SET-UP: Comes 95% pre-assembled. Assembly time: 15 minutes and you’re ready to play! Simply attach the legs with only 8 bolts TOTAL. Tournament grade net is a simple clamp design for easy attachment.
- RELIABLE/LEVEL PLAY: Durable 5/8 inch (15 mm) thick medium-density fiberboard (MDF) multi-layer painted surface for a consistent and reliable ball bounce. The table sits on thick steel legs with leg height adjusters to ensure a level playing surface.
- SEPARATE HALVES FOR PLAYBACK MODE & COMPACT STORAGE: Folding halves sit on separate 4-wheel trolley systems for mobility when alone or nested together. Utilizing the automatic anti-tilting locks, easily unfold one table half for solo playback mode
- CORNER BALL HOLDERS AND ABACUS SCORER: In addition to the sleek, black top, the table features four ball holders and two magnetic abacus scorers making it a great, stylish addition to any home. Each ball holder holds 3 40mm JOOLA table tennis balls.
Why I recommend this ping pong table to Garage?
- First, Garage is a place where there are many different tools, that is why things can bump into the tabletop. So polyurethane was applied in this case, granting this tabletop the ability to stand strong against all impacts, so hardly will you be able to find a scratch even after long-term use.
- Second, The JOOLA Rally TL has four corner ball holders and two magnetic abacus scorers. Each ball holder holds 3 40mm table tennis balls. You will have a place to store your ping pong balls and it is very space saving.
- Third, I have a friend and he uses JOOLA Rally TL in his garage
5. Butterfly Centrefold 25 Table Tennis Table
- ITTF TABLE TENNIS TABLE: Approved by International Table Tennis Federation to exacting standards.
- 5-YEAR WARRANTY: Be assured of professional quality for this indoor ping pong table. No assembly!
- 1 INCH TOP: Enjoy true bounces for consistent play in clubs, institutions, & home game rooms.
- FOLDAWAY: Fold and roll easily into smaller storage spaces. Store one or multiple tables compactly.
- FREE PROFESSIONAL NET: Tournament-approved Butterfly Europa ping pong net set included.
The best of the four ping pong tables above are found in Butterfly Centrefold 25. Butterfly Centrefold 25 is even better!
I found this table at an entry-level tournament. So I’m using it in my basement.
The table is very heavy, up to 290 pounds. So folding and assembling it is hard work.
I put the table in my basement because it is the most airtight place. I don’t need to practice returning the ball with half of the table. So I don’t care about its folding function. Sometimes I invite my friend to my house. In my basement with Butterfly Centrefold 25, we feel like we are really playing.
This product is expensive. It costs nearly $2000. You should also think about this before you spend your money!
All of the five products above are excellent tables for professional ping pong practice. In which, each indoor ping pong table may have different advantages and disadvantages. However, I double-checked to make sure that every top indoor table comes with ITTF standard dimensions, sturdy frame strength, superb bounce level, easy to assemble, and sold at the right price for their value.
Now, the choice is yours. Just consider all the factors and pick an indoor table tennis table that suits you most.
Thanks for reading!
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you keep a ping pong table in the garage?
In windy conditions, the ball will be blown off of the table. This is bad because it means the ball won’t bounce properly. If you want to keep an indoor table tennis table in a garage or other area that isn’t room temperature often, you should know that it could be damaged.
Can indoor table tennis tables be used in the garage?
Indoor ping pong tables should not be outside or somewhere that is damp. This will make it damaged and the playing surface will change. But these tables are good because it does not go outside and still has a nice bounce, even though it cannot handle moisture.
Can I use an indoor ping pong table outside?
Some indoor table tennis tables can be used outside. But remember to bring them back into the house. If you leave your table in the sun, it will warp and then not work right.
How thick should a ping pong table be?
Ping pong tables are usually 12mm to 30mm thick. The thicker the table, the better it is. The best ping pong tables for high-traffic rec centers and for competitive players are 25mm+ ping pong tables.
How much does a good table tennis table cost?
The average price for an indoor ping pong table is $250-500. The cost for an outdoor ping pong table is $400-700 and mini ping pong tables cost $50-$150. You can pay $1000 to as much as $4000 for a ping pong table, depending on the company and the quality of the product.