Timo Boll is a German professional table tennis player, who currently plays for Borussia Düsseldorf. He ranks among the best German table tennis players of all time, having ranked world No. 1 in 2003, 2011, and in March 2018.
Timo Boll Information
- Nationality: German
- Born: 8 March 1981, Erbach, Hessen, West Germany
- Playing-style: Left-handed, shakehand grip
- Highest Ranking: #1
- Height: 5ft 11in
- Weight: 163 lbs
Timo Boll Playing style
Timo Boll is a left-handed player whose best weapon is his forehand topspin drive but is also noted for his extremely quick backhand loop. His blade is the Timo Boll ALC with Dignics 09c rubbers on both sides. His present doubles partner is Patrick Franziska.
Boll’s technique was ahead of its time as he was one of the first two-winged loopers. He employs the spin-block instead of a passive block to put more pressure on his opponents. He is renowned for being one of the top players when it comes to generating elevated amounts of spin, especially in his opening topspin.
This is rendered possible by his low stance, quick acceleration, and use of the wrist. This technique brought him a lot of success due to his opponents being put under pressure during the celluloid ball era. In recent years, due to the introduction of the plastic ball, which cannot be imparted with as much spin, Boll relies more on his counter-topspin technique from both the backhand and forehand side.
A good example of him employing this technique is his match against Fan Zhendong at the Austrian Open in 2019, in which he reached the deciding set against the 16 years younger World No. 1. This technique allows him to conserve energy but requires very good anticipation and reading of the opponent.
Timo Boll Highlights
Timo Boll’s Titles
|World Cup||Single||2-times||2002, 2005|
|European Champion||Single||7-times||2002, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2018|
|European Champion||Team||7-times||2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2017, 2019|
|Europe Top-16||Single||7-times||2002, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2010, 2018, 2020|
|European Super Cup||Single||3-times||2007, 2008 and 2009|
|German Championship||Single||11-times||1998, 2001–2007, 2009, 2015, 2017|
Timo Boll Equipment
Blade: Butterfly Timo Boll ALC
- The Butterfly Timo Boll ALC blade is a perfect marriage of speed, control, and feel
- Arylate-Carbon plies are softer than traditional carbon, allowing for a longer dwell time
- Designed for versatile spin play, players can flick and loop with devastating effects
- Whether you are pushing short or countering back from the table, this blade can do it all well
- This world-class blade comes in Anatomic, Flared, and Straight shakehand handle styles
Forehand: Butterfly Dignics 09C
- The newest Butterfly sponge and rubber technology, now available with a new hard sponge and tacky topsheet
- The highest spin rating of any Butterfly rubber at 13. 0 (more than Dignics 05, which is 12. 0)
- Ideal for over-the-table play and countering topspin, as well as defensive play, due to the high spin capabilities
- Pairs best with the Zhang Jike Super ZLC, Timo Boll ALC, Mizutani Jun ZLC, Lin Gaoyuan ALC, and other Butterfly blades
- Butterfly Free Chack II table tennis glue recommended when assembling Dignics table tennis rubbers
Backhand: Butterfly Tenergy 05
- The first in the Tenergy line, with both Spring Sponge and High Tension technologies
- This Butterfly rubber is best-suited for offensive all-round play, both near and far from the table
- Get the most out of your game as a looper with easy power and spin from this Japanese rubber sheet
- Pairs best with Butterfly Timo Boll ALC, Viscaria, Zhang Jike Super ZLC, or other Butterfly blades
- Butterfly Free Chack II table tennis glue recommended when assembling Tenergy table tennis rubbers